My child is hearing impaired. Are there simple, transition techniques I can suggest to his home care provider?
If your child wears hearing aids, make sure your provider understands all the details about them, including doing sound checks, changing batteries, and trouble shooting. Let your provider know what your child is able to hear and what may be more difficult.
Share tips that you have found successful at home:
- Does your child benefit from reading lips?
- Does your child benefit from using sign language?
- What signs does he/she know?
- Does it help for the source of sound to be closer to your child?
- What helps your child when he/she does not understand?
- If your child is learning new words/signs, be sure to share them with your provider so they can be incorporated into the daily routine.